Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Introduction to the World of Competitive Eating

About a month ago, I was informed that Seoul would be hosting an amateur, confirmedly American-style gluttony festival (i.e., a 'competitive eating competition') hosted by the Korean corporation, NY Hot Dog & Coffee. Given my citizenship, proclivity to revel in overeating, and a lack of aversion to stomach pains, I was truly amazed that I'd never participated in one of these kinds of events. Guess that I'd never been presented with a comfortable place to publicly display food binging. Nothing could keep me from embracing this golden chance. Further, as if there was any need for additional encouragement, the presenting company would be offering prizes for the best eaters AND the event would be highly publicized afterwards. You're telling me there's a free lunch? And I'll be famous for it?! And I also might win stuff!?

Well, I'll prematurely let the cat out of the bag, but I didn't win any TV sets or iPads. However, there was sooo much more to gain & let me share...

Preparing to stuff our faces with carcinogenic meat products:
In addition to the free meal and notoriety, it was fantastic to learn about a new sport. I use the word sport, because if ice fishing (to which I can't see the lure), cricket (whose attraction is insectuously pathetic), and toe wrestling (which needs no pun, as it stands on its own) qualify, then eating certainly does. What better way to overcome nature and push the limits of human achievement than shoving processed deceased animal trimmings down one's gullet?

One minute into the competition, I was still a bit hungry. That feeling would be nonexistent for the next 48 hours.


For another oddity, this company that hawks an unambiguously American cuisine (well, as close as possible), is Korean. Throughout my time abroad, I've constantly come across this US-centric phenomenon. This usually produces good results (case in point), but never ceases to feel unsettling each time a McDonald's moves into a new location.

It appears that everywhere on this planet, one constantly sees similar examples of this: Turkish food in China, Malaysian clothing in Alaska, Hungarian kaleidoscopes in South Africa. So come to think of it, I guess that a New York sausage product in Korea isn't that odd. I reckon that almost anyone can get their hands (or mouths) on anything manufactured and promoted by other humans. Cheers to a smaller planet!







We are truly in the presence of greatness:

1st place finisher!

No comments:

Post a Comment